The Canadian Experience Class proposed minimum requirements for graduates with Canadian work experience. Under the proposed changes, graduates of a Canadian post-secondary educational institution with Canadian work experience would need to meet the following minimum requirements:

  • Have at least 12 months of full time (or an equal amount in part-time) of skilled, professional or technical work experience in Canada in three years before you apply.
  • Have gained your experience in Canada with the proper authorization.
  • Meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing and listening).



Requirements would be based on a pass or fail model. That is, if the minimum requirements were met, the applicant would be eligible. There would be no point system as with the Federal Skilled Worker Program.


Work Experience

 Under the proposed changes, applicants would be required to accumulate at least one year of full time or an equal amount in part time, work experience full time means at least 30 hours of paid work per week of work experience at:

  • Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations).
  • Skill Level A (professional occupations).
  • Skill level B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC).

For graduates to meet the requirement for work experience, they could apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit after graduation. These work permits may be valid for up to three years with no restrictions on the location or the type of work they can do. To ensure that they are eligible to stay permanently under the Canadian Experience Class, at least one year of work experience under the three-year permit would need to be at Skill Type 0, or Skill Level A or B under the NOC. The work experience would need to be obtained within two years of the application.

To find out which group your job falls under, see the list of jobs and their NOC groups HERE, follow the steps to find the NOC group that matches your job.

If the details and list of main duties for a job under NOC skill types 0, A or B match what you did while you worked in Canada, your job is likely in that group. If it does not, look at the list to see if another job matches your experience.


Principal Applicant

If you are married or have been living with a partner more than 12 moths in Canada, and that person also meets the above conditions, you can decide which one of you will apply under the CEC as a principal applicant.

A common-law partner is a person who has lived with you in a conjugal relationship for at least one year. Common-law partner refers to both opposite-sex and same-sex couples.


Language Abilities

Being able to communicate and work in English, French or both will help you in the Canadian job market.

You must prove your ability in English or French in these four areas:

  • Speaking,
  • Reading,
  • Listening, and
  • Writing.

Your occupation (job) will dictate the language skills you need to immigrate under this class. The skills you need will depend on the group the job is classified in under the National Occupational Classification system (NOC).

If you gained your skilled work experience in Canada in a NOC 0 or A job, you must meet the minimum level of CLB 7 in either English or French for all four language abilities.

If you gained your skilled work experience in Canada in a NOC B job, you must meet the minimum level of CLB 5 in either English or French for all four language abilities. For more information about CLB please click HERE.


Application Processes


CEC Application Processes