Study Permit


Studying in Canada normally requires the student to have a valid Study Permit. For short time study, i.e. less than 6 months, students are allowed to attend short-term classes (less than 6 months) without a study permit.

Do I need an Entry Visa?

Students from certain countries are required to have a valid entry visa (TRV – Temporary Resident Visa) before they apply for a study permit. You can check the countries HERE.

The first step for students trying to apply for a Study Permit is to do comprehensive research about schools. The can get help from friends, local agencies, and the Internet, etc. They should collect the required documents and apply for their desired program. After they receive the official Letter of Acceptance from the school, they may use it to apply for a Study Permit.


  1. You must have received a letter of acceptance from an accredited institution.
  2. You must demonstrate your financial support sources.
  3. You must pass a medical examination.
  4. You must prove that you’ll leave Canada after you finish your study.
  5. You must show that you are not a threat to the Canadian society.

Required Documents

  1. Application Form (IMM 1294) – Download
  2. Document Checklist (IMM 5483) – Download
  3. Proof of acceptance
  4. Passport and 2 photos
  5. Proof of financial support
  6. Medical examination result
  7. Criminal record check

Processing Time

Processing time varies across regions.
For detailed information please visit the CIC Web Page.


Application Processes


SP Application Processes