Starting February 8, 2021, recent Hong Kong graduates will get a chance to apply for Open Work Permit, lasting 3 years. This Public Policy is designated to provide highly skilled Hong Kong residents with Canadian working experience. In this blog post, we will share everything you need to know for a successful application process.
Imin Consulting is currently having a promotion on the Open Work Permit Application Packages for Hong Kong recent graduates. Contact us here to get more information about it and get further assistance or consultation!
Requirements for an Open Work Permit for Hong Kong recent Graduates:
- Hong Kong Citizen with a valid passport
- Recently graduated from a School/College/University (within 5 years)
- Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) if you graduated from a college outside Canada. For a university degree, you do not need an ECA, but an immigration officer may ask for one later
- Willingness to go through the immigration process to apply for an Open Work Permit
What is an Open Work Permit?
Open Work Permit is not job-specific. Meaning that a holder of an Open Work Permit may come to Canada without a job offer, or a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). For this policy, as well as for the majority of cases, the Open Work Permit is valid for up to 3 years, in which you have to find a permanent employment.
What Documents Do I Need to Apply for this Public Policy?
Applicant should be ready to provide the following documents upon request:
- Completed application forms;
- Copy of education credential, transcripts or proof of enrolment at a post-secondary educational institution;
- Civil Status Documents;
- Copy of your education report from a designed body (list of which you can find on the Government of Canada website);
- Copy of your Hong Kong Special Administrative Region or British National Overseas passport (copy must include all pages);
- Evidence of your work history in the form of a CV/ Resume;
- Digital photo.
How long does this public policy take effect for?
This Policy is effective from February 8, 2021 to February 7, 2023. For more information visit Government of Canada Website.
This pilot program allows for the open work permit to be issued for up to 3 years. However, like all Canadian permits, if your passport expires before the 3-year period, the open work permit will be valid up until the expiry of your passport. So make sure to update your passport beforehand, if the expiration date is sooner than 3 years from now.
What effect does current Covid-19 situation have on the application process?
Given the current situation the application processing time might be taking longer than usual, so the applicant should be patient. Please, do not start a new application without receiving a response on the first one. This will only increase the wait time for you.
Due to current travel restrictions, in order to travel to Canada as this time and until further notice, you will need to:
- Be approved for your open work permit;
- Have a valid job offer;
- Be able to work once you complete your 14-day quarantine in Canada.
However, even if you are not eligible to travel right now, we still encourage all applicants to submit their applications as soon as possible, since the situation might change at any time.
Have more questions about the Public Policy or Open Work Permit?
Imin Professionals are here to help! Leave us a comment and we will get back to you! Our services include a personalized approach to each case! Please, feel free to message us with any questions. We are here to make the process easier for you.